The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA or BGS in Communication Studies. The Communication Studies major provides a broad liberal arts education that addresses the ways in which people communicate in relationships, in public discourse, and within organizations. The major includes study of the ways in which such processes relate to cultural differences, technological developments, gender, age, and other social variables.
Sample of Related Skills
- Coming soon!
Popular Career Paths
Corporate Communications: Involves careers that help "get the word out" in the corporate community to the public through public relations, training, and relationship building.
Consumer Communications: Concerns providing information to the consumer or customer to generate revenue.
Media: Focuses on spreading various broad messages through various methods and outlets to reach a large number of people.
Communication Disorders: Involves working with people who have one or more communication disorders to assist them in effectively communicating.
Writing: Allows individuals to express themselves through communication and provide entertainment and/or provide necessary or informative information the public through a variety of resources such as books, magazines, newspapers, or websites.
Explore More Career Paths
- Educational-Portal.com - an overview of communication as a major, as well as career ideas, salary information, and informational videos
- International Association of Business Communications - lists job search tips, professional development opportunities, and career profiles and spotlights
- MyPlan.com - numerous career options for students majoring in communications, advertising, or journalism with occupational descriptions
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations Firms
Chambers of Commerce
Institutions of Higher Education
Human Resources Departments
Local, State, and Federal Government Agencies
Nursing Homes/Rehabilitation Centers
Radio, Television, and News Stations
- Identify areas of interest and your strengths in communication so you can focus your academics and experiences toward these fields.
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications associated with careers that interest you (i.e., advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications).
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent studies, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest in communication studies, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field.
- Practice interviewing on your own or by conducting a mock interview at the University Career Center. List of practice questions: advertising, general sales (pdf), event planning (pdf), marketing (pdf), pharmaceutical sales (pdf), public relations (pdf).
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume 1 (pdf), sample resume 2 (pdf), sample resume-with athletics (pdf), sample resume-pre-communication studies (pdf).
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Complete an independent study to gain advanced research skills.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as: Advertising Club, Amateur Radio Club, Footprint Radio Broadcasting Ministry, Marketing Club, Sports Marketing Club, Student Ambassadors, Students in Communication Studies, and University Daily Kansan.
Job and Internship Search Resources
- American Marketing Association of Kansas City - professional development opportunities in the marketing, as well as career tips, networking opportunities, and job and internship listings
- American Advertising Federation of Kansas City - information & networking opportunities, as well as an internship guide in advertising, PR, marketing, communications, event planning, and more
- American Marketing Association - a marketing career management center, where you can "ask the expert," receive career tips and strategies, receive newsletters, and search for jobs
- American Society of Magazine Editors - information on professional development opportunities, FAQ's, and internships within the field of magazine editing
- Communications Jobs in the Federal Government - potential communication job titles, recent position announcements, and positions by region in the federal government
- Ed(2010) Whisper Jobs - job and internship listings, as well as salary and contact information for various companies in the publishing and journalism industries.
- Environment Advocacy & Communication Jobs - lists communications jobs in the field of environmental advocacy
- Internships USA - books of internships including Internships with America's Top Companies, Internships with America's Advertising Agencies, and The Media Internship Book
- Free Fashion Internships- Listings of postings by companies seeking fashion interns, as well as other fashion industry advice
- Kansas City's American Association of Advertising Agencies - provides links to career and internship pages to Kansas City's top advertising agencies
- National Association of Broadcasters - insight into the fields of radio and television broadcasting
- New York Women in Communications - list of jobs and internships organized by various communications fields
- Newspaper Association of America: Newspaper CareerBank - available jobs the newspaper industry; NAA members account for nearly 90% of the daily circulation in the U.S.
- Public Relations Society of America - a PR and communications job center with job listings, featured employers, salary information, and job alert features
- Public Relations Society of America: Kansas City - information and networking opportunities in PR, as well as job postings and an internship directory