The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA, BGS and BS in Economics. The study of economics offers students insight into some of the most fundamental issues facing societies today: what goods and services should we produce, how should they be produced, and how should they be distributed around the world. Economics is outstanding preparation for a career in finance, business, policy analysis, international relations, or any other field that requires rigorous analytic thinking. It also makes an excellent foundation for graduate study in economics, business, law, political science, or public administration.
Sample of Related Skills
- Coming soon!
Popular Career Paths
Economic and Market Research: Can involve forecasting consumer demand and sales of an organization's products and analysis of an organization's competitors' market share and provide recommendations on how to manage the competition.
Banking and Finance: Involves forecasting, planning, and conducting cost analysis for banks and financial institutions.
Government: Includes conducting policy analysis and/or collecting economic data for federal, state or local government agencies.
Research: Involves conducting basic and applied studies of human behavior.
Insurance: Involves advising insurers, their regulators, and legislators on risk management issues.
Explore More Career Paths
- Be an Actuary - offers many links to information on the career of an actuary
- Kansas Directory of Economic Development Organizations - contains a list of organizations across the state of Kansas involved in the economic development as well as their contact information
- Society of Actuaries - provides links for applicants, recruiters, and interns to find valuable information on the career of an actuary
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Chambers of Commerce
Federal, State and Local Government Agencies
Health Maintenance Organizations
Market Research Firms
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional association related to economics, such as the American Economic Association and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field of interest.
- Earn a graduate degree to obtain advanced research and consulting positions.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as the Economics Club or Finance Club.
- Develop strong interpersonal communication and leadership skills.
- Practice interviewing by yourself or by conducting a mock interview at the University Career Center. List of practice questions: economics (pdf).
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume (pdf).
Job and Internship Search Resources
- American Academy of Financial Management - professional organization with an extensive job board containing opportunities in a wide variety of financial sectors including compliance, risk management, equities, derivatives, and asset management
- American Economic Association's Job Opening for Economists - comprehensive job board for opportunities in economics across the US
- American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research - non-profit political and economic research institute that offers jobs, internships and fellowships in research
- Brookings - think tank and publisher that offers jobs, internships, and fellowships in foreign policy, economic studies, and global economy/development
- CATO Institute - non-profit public policy research foundation that offers jobs and internships in policy research and economics
- Economic Policy Institute - non-profit economic think tank that offers employment opportunities in policy research and economics
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority - largest independent regulator for all securities firms doing business in the United States that offers jobs and internships in a variety of areas including economics, compliance, regulation, public policy and statistics
- Foreign Policy Research Institute - non-profit devoted to research and public education on international affairs; includes jobs, internships, and a think tank directory
- Gallup - survey and research organization that identifies and monitors behavioral economic indicators worldwide and offers jobs in economics, management, sociology and psychology
- Government & Non-Profit Resources - more resources from career.ku.edu
- Idealist.org - local, national, and international internships in non-profit and government organizations
- Internships-USA - internships in law & policy and international affairs
- Making the Difference - explore potential careers and internships with the federal government, including opportunities in social services and research
- Marketing Research Association - a career site devoted to a career in marketing research that includes current jobs, internships, and social networking sites
- National Association for Business Economics Career Center - includes job postings, career profiles, salary surveys, and other valuable career information in business economics
- National Economic Association Job Bulletin - nationwide job opportunities in economics
- PEW Charitable Trusts - non-profit charitable organization that provides grants to improve public policy, inform the public and support community service that offers jobs and fellowships in a variety of areas including public policy analysis and research
- RAND Corporation - think tank that offers jobs, internships, and fellowships in international affairs and national security
- USAJOBS - full-time, part-time, and internship listings with the federal government