Health Information Management
The School of Health Professions offers a BS in Health Information Management as a two-year program on the KU Medical Center campus in Kansas City, KS. Students must complete their first two years of undergraduate prerequisites from KU's Lawrence campus or another qualified accredited institution to become eligible for admission. Health Information Management (HIM) links health care clinicians with information technology and is the bridge between patients’ health information and health insurers, state and federal government, and other regulating agencies.
Sample of Related Skills
- Review medical documentation and accurately assign codes for billing purposes.
- Collect and summarize performance data, identifying opportunities for improvement, and present data
- Conduct medical chart audits, prepare reports, and report data.
- Collect, evaluate and maintain data concerning medical patient injuries, claims, and worker's compensation.
- Report data and implement changes to policies and procedures as necessary.
- Act as a bridge between patients’ health information and health insurers, state and federal government, and other regulating agencies.
- Serve as an advocate for privacy and confidentiality of health information and plans and offers in-service educational programs for health care personnel.
Popular Career Paths
Management: Involves managing Health Information Management department staff, budget, and overall operations.
Coding: Involves reviewing medical documentation and accurately assigning codes for billing purposes.
Quality Improvement: Includes collecting and summarizing performance data, identifying opportunities for improvement, and presenting data to other administrators.
Compliance: Involves conducting chart audits, preparing reports, and reporting data.
Risk Management: Includes collecting, evaluating and maintaining data concerning patient injuries, claims, and worker's compensation. Reports data and implements changes to policies and procedures as necessary.
Explore More Career Paths
- American Medical Association's Career Directory - explore health information occupations and other health care careers through this great career directory
- Health Information Careers - online resource for learning about careers in health information management and health informatics
- Health Management Careers - resources detailing various positions through industry, video of students and successful executives talking about their career decisions in hospitals and other healthcare organizations.
- Kansas Health Information Management Association - includes educational resources and networking opportunities in health information management
- KU Health Information Management Program Career Information - salary and career information for HIM students and graduates
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Federal and State Health Care Agencies
Healthcare Management Companies (HMOs)
Home Health Care Agencies
Information Systems Vendors
Long-Term Care Facilities
Medical Software Companies
Medical Clinics/Group Practices
Mental Health Clinics
Public Health Care Agencies
View specific employers by state.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider pursuing Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification to enhance your employment prospects. After completing KU's HIM program, graduates are eligible to sit for the American Health Information Management Association National Registry Examination that allows the successful candidate to be officially recognized as a Registered Health Information Administrator and utilize the RHIA credential after their name
- Join professional associations related to Health Information Management, such as the Kansas Health Information Management Association or the American Health Information Management Association and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals in your field of interest
- Consider joining a professional organization related to health information management and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field. Health information is a relatively small, tight-knit field. Ask your professors, advisors, friends, and others you know if they can introduce you to someone in your interest area. Additional networking tools and resources that may be helpful include American Health Information Management Association's Community of Practice or LinkedIn.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KUMC related to your area of interest, such as: Infectious Disease Interest Group, Food for Thought, Students Educating and Advocating for Diversity, and Whole Health and Alternative Medicine
- Develop strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, attention to detail, flexibility, and technical skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and databases
Job and Internship Search Resources
- All50Medical.com - job opportunities and information on traveling allied health careers
- Allied Health Careers.com - job opportunities in allied health-related careers, including health information management
- American Health Information Management Association Career Assist - job opportunities and career resources for health information management
- Association of Healthcare Documentation Integrity Career Connection - job opportunities in a wide variety of healthcare documentation specialist positions, including HIM
- Health Career Center - online guide to health careers, degrees, schools and job search resources
- Hospital Jobs Online.com - comprehensive listing of healthcare jobs in hospitalss across the US, including many health information management job postings
- Kansas Health Information Management Association Job Bank - health information management job postings
- kshealthjobs.net - list of jobs across the state of Kansas