History of Art
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA, BGS, and BFA in the History of Art, which introduces students to the past and present and offers courses in history of photography, prints, and drawings.
History of Art Department website
Featured Resources & Career Ideas
Museums/Galleries: Involves showcasing and preparing art-museums depend on grants and membership for support, while galleries depend on selling art to the public for funding.
Funding Agencies for the Arts: Concerned with raising money for art programs.
Art Journalism: Deals with writing, editing, and producing art-related materials.
Auction Galleries: Involves the selling and buying of art through galleries
Business: Often focuses on the buying and selling or art and art products, usually in a store or commercial setting
Further Explore Careers in History of Art
- The Art History Major: Is there life after graduation? - helpful tips and suggested jobs for art history majors
View specific employers by state.
- Art Galleries
- Art/History Magazines
- Art Supply Stores
- Auction Galleries
- Camps/Recreation Facilities
- Ceramics Shops
- Community Art Centers
- Custom Framing Stores
- Educational Institutions
- Jewelry Stores
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Publishing Companies
- Identify areas of interest in art and history, so you can focus your academics and experiences toward these fields.
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications associated with careers that interest you (i.e., advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications).
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest in art history, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant.
- Complete an independent study to gain advanced research skills.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional education.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as: Ceramics Club, Community Resources Engaging the Arts through Education, KU Photo Club, Photography Club, and Spencer Museum of Art Student Advisory Board.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume (pdf).
Links to Job & Internship Listings
- American Association of Museums - a list of museums and job opportunities within museums
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic Art - a career center for those interested in art conservation with job postings, general information, and networking opportunities
- Americans for the Arts - professional association that includes networking and job/internship search resources
- Art History Job Listings: About.com - list of jobs, internships, and fellowships in art history
- Art Library Society of North America - Internships in Art, Architecture, & Design Libraries and Visual Resource Centers in United States, Canada and Mexico
- Art Museums Worldwide - a comprehensive list of art museums across the world
- Association for Art History - list of jobs and fellowships in art history
- College Art Association - an online career center, grant and fellowship resources, mentoring opportunities, and more
- GetthatGig.com - a list of jobs and internships in art and design
- Idealist.org - search jobs, internships, organizations, and volunteer opportunities in the non-profit sector; search under the focus area of "art, architecture, and music"
- Internships in Museums, Galleries, etc.: organized by state - various internship opportunities in the art history field
- Internships-USA - internships listed in The Museum Internship Book and The History Internship Book
- Kansas Citizens for the Arts - organization working to build support for the arts among the public, community leadership and elected officials; includes a list of recommended resources
- Kansas Art Galleries - lists art galleries in the state of Kansas
- Kansas Museums Association - employment listings, an online newsletter, scholarship opportunities, trainings, and workshop listings
- Midwest Art History Society - career advice, as well as job and internship listings for art history majors
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy-Art Jobs - jobs in the arts within non-profit organizations