The School of Music offers a BM in Music Therapy. The undergraduate music therapy program provides full preparation for entry into the profession. Graduates are prepared for general music therapy practice in a variety of settings. The KU music therapy program is approved by the American Music Therapy Association. Individuals who complete the program are eligible to take the national music therapy certification board examination.
Sample of Related Skills
- Perform capably and professionally as music educators and therapists
- Use contemporary techniques, knowledge, and skills to solve problems in classrooms or clinical settings
- Communicate the expanding and deepening understanding of music therapy as a basic human endeavor
- Help society define and respond to its educational responsibilities and challenges
- Assume leadership positions in schools, districts, institutions, communities, and the profession
- Demonstrate mastery of aural skills including sight-reading and dictation
- Implement music and non-music methods and techniques that effectively assist clients in modifying responses in assessment, treatment, session, and termination plans
Popular Career Paths
Clinical: Typically involves utilizing music therapy techniques in private practice, hospitals, community mental health centers, and pain and stress management facilities.
Special Education: Typically involves utilizing music therapy in a school setting.
Research: Involves researching the practice and methods of music therapy interventions.
Explore More Career Paths
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Community Mental Health Centers
Day Treatment Centers
Drug and Alcohol Programs
General and State Hospitals
Geriatric Care Programs
Home Health Programs
Pain and Stress Management Centers
Physical Rehabilitation Centers
Prevention and Wellness Programs
Private Practices and Agencies
Public and Private Schools
Special Education Programs
Universities and Colleges
Job and Internship Search Resources
The quick link for this page is career.ku.edu/musictherapy.
Go back to Careers & KU Majors homepage.
- Music Therapy Career Information - music therapy career information
- The Certification Board for Music Therapists - information regarding certification/licensure
- Identify the social concerns and populations that interest you most and pursue courses such as psychology, social work, or education that allows you to explore these interests further
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications (i.e., Advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications, Master's degree along with coursework in music theory, voice studies, instrumental lessons, and/or physiology) for occupations you are considering
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Join professional associations such as the Kansas City Metro Music Therapists, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field of interest
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school
- Consider getting involved with a student organization such as: Music Therapy Student Association, Music Mentors, Community Resources Engaging in the Arts Through Education, and Collegiate Music Educators National Conference (CMENC)
- American Music Therapy Association - career information, professional requirements, schools that offer music therapy, internship and job opportunities
- Health Career Web - search for music therapy jobs and other healthcare jobs
- Internships for Music Therapy Training in North America - information on schools that offer music therapy degrees, as well as contact information for music therapy internships by state
- Kansas City Metro Music Therapists - professional and social networking group within the field of music therapy. Provides peer support, continuing education, increasing awareness of music therapy, and community service opportunities
- Music Therapy Internships - the American Music Therapy Association offers an internship database of music therapy internships across the United States. Provides details regarding the internship, as well as contact information
- National Association of Schools of Music - an association of approximately 630 schools of music. It is the national accrediting agency for music and music-related disciplines