The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA and BGS, as well as a AuD, a MA, a PhD, and a SPLD in Speech, Language, & Hearing. Programs are designed for the student who seeks a career in speech, language, or hearing, or is interested in normal communication development and communication disorders.
Sample of Related Skills
- Develop an understanding of the basic components of human communication including their biological, neurological, acoustic, psychological, developmental, linguistic, social, and cultural biases
- Understand the nature of communication disorders and communication differences
- Understand how to use instrumentation and technology in the field of Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences
- Demonstrate professional practices in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic human communication and swallowing processes, including their biological, neurological, acoustic, psychological, developmental, and linguistic and cultural bases
- Demonstrate knowledge of the nature of speech, language, hearing, and communication disorders and psychological, developmental, and linguistic and cultural correlates
- Demonstrate basic understanding of principles of assessment and intervention over the range of communication disorders specified in the current scope of professional practice for audiology and speech-language pathology
Popular Career Paths
Audiology: Involves treating people who have hearing or other related disorders.
Speech-Language Pathology: Includes treating and assessing people who have speech, voice, fluency, and language disorders.
Research: Involves studying and researching communication and other related disorders.
Explore More Career Paths
- Explore Health Careers.org - career information on audiologists and speech language pathologists
- Kansas Healthcare Careers - find jobs, professional associations, licensing and continuing education information across the state of Kansas
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Adult Day Care Centers
Colleges and Universities
Centers for Persons with Developmental Disabilities
Community Health Clinics
Corporate Speech-Language Pathology
Private and Group Practice
Public Health Departments
Public and Private Schools
- Identify the social concerns and populations that interest you most and pursue courses and experiences that allow you to explore these interests further
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications (i.e., advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications) for occupations you are considering
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest in speech, language and hearing, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest such as: Speech-Language & Hearing & Child Language Program or KU Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Job and Internship Search Resources
- American Academy of Audiology - employment opportunities for those interested in a career in audiology
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association - career information, job search resources, higher education information
- Audiology Online - job postings for audiology positions across the U.S.
- Kansas Speech Language Hearing Association - job postings in Kansas and licensure information
- KidsCamps.com - opportunities to work at camps for kids with communication disorders
- Kidsplay Therapy Center - job postings for speech pathologists working with children
- KU Department of Speech Language and Hearing Clinical Opportunities - various clinical opportunities for students
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders - job postings related to people living with communication disorders
- National Student Speech Language Hearing Association - resources for finding summer employment, speech-pathology and audiology Q&A, and other helpful links
- PediaStaff - search for speech, language, & hearing jobs by state
- Speech Ville Express - find Speech-Language-Hearing Associations by state
- Therapy Jobs.com - contains thousands of therapy-related job listings, including speech language pathology