The KU School of Music offers a BA, BM, and BFA in several academic disciplines, including brass and percussion, jazz, music theory and composition, musicology, organ, piano, strings, theatre and voice, voice, woodwinds, and music business.
Featured Resources & Career Ideas
Performance: Involves conducting, playing an instrument, and/or singing.
Business: Includes managing artists, negotiating contracts, and arranging events/performances for musicians.
Education: Could involve private instruction and/or teaching music in a school setting.
Further Explore Opportunities in Music Performance
- American Musicological Society - professional organization that provides music related career information
View specific employers by state.
- Amusement Parks
- Armed Forces Bands and Orchestras
- Ballet Productions
- Church Choirs
- Clubs and Restaurants
- Community Choral Groups
- Cruise Lines
- Musical Theaters
- Opera Companies
- Radio, Television, and Motion Picture Industries
- Recording Industries
- Rock or Jazz Groups
- Self-Employed/Small Business Owner
- Small Ensembles
- Public/Private Schools
- Arts Administrator/Manager
- Band Director
- Choir Director
- Concert Soloist
- Cruise Director
- Disc Jockey/Announcer
- Film Music Editor
- Instrument Service Specialist
- Music Promoter
- Music Software Programmer
- Music Store Manager
- Private Music Teacher
- Public Relations Specialist
- Recording Sound Engineer/Mixer
- Recreation Director
- Sales Representative
- School Music Teacher
- Section Leader/Section Member
- Studio Musician
- Tour Manager/Coordinator
- Voice Coach
- Identify the area of music performance that interests you most and pursue courses and experiences that allow you to explore these interests further.
- Develop skills and knowledge in composition, harmony, arranging, and theory as well as computer and desktop publishing experience.
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications (i.e., Advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications) for occupations you are considering.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Join professional associations related to music performance and, if possible, attend local and/or regional music conferences and workshops to make connections with professionals in your field.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as: KU Band, Composers Guild at The University of Kansas, Genuine Imitation A Cappella Group, Music Mentors, KU Percussion Club, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, School of Music Ambassador's Club, or Telharmonium.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume (pdf).
Links to Job & Internship Listings
- Acoustical Society of America - society dedicated to increasing knowledge of acoustics and its applications. Offers a job search function, as well as graduate school information.
- American Federation of Musicians Career Corner - association representing professional musicians. Offers a comprehensive career information for emerging musicians, as well as other scholarship information
- Chorus America - non-profit organization for choral music. Promotes professional, volunteer, and youth choruses. Provides a listing of choral industry job openings
- Entertainment Careers.net - search for jobs and internships at studios, networks, production companies, record companies, TV and radio stations, VFX, animation, and broadcasting
- League of American Orchestras - search for internships in the music performance field
- Media Web Source - search for music jobs and other related careers
- Musical Chairs - search for performance, teaching, and administration jobs in classical music
- Music Job - search for music jobs in the United Kingdom, Germany, Brazil, and the United States
- Music Resources on the Internet - provides a list of links to music related careers such as classical, commercial, folk, and jazz resources
- MusicianWages.com - search for job vacancies such as pianists, guitarists, drummers, bassists, bands, music teacher, horns, and more. Also provides information on musician resumes, business cards, and how to obtain a job on a cruise ship
- MyMusicJob.com - search for jobs in music across the United States
- Orchestral Jobs - search for orchestral jobs around the world
- ShowBizJobs.com - job search function for finding a job in the entertainment business