The School of Education offers a BSE in Unified Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle and Secondary Education as well as PK-12 Foreign Language, and Health and Physical Education. The primary mission of the School of Education is to prepare educators as leaders.
Sample of Related Skills
- Plan instruction that supports student progress in learning in multiple subject areas and is appropriate for the early childhood, elementary, or middle developmental levels
- Establish a classroom climate conducive to learning
- Engage students in planned learning activities
- Evaluate, act upon, and report student progress in learning
- Exhibit professional behaviors, ethics, and values
Popular Career Paths
PK-12 Instruction: Involves providing daily classroom instruction at the early childhood, elementary or secondary level. Typically requires licensure or certification in corresponding content area.
Special Education: Involves conducting assessments and developing individualized education plans for students in PK through 12th grade, as well as providing support and resources for parents, teachers and administration
Administration: Involves the daily operation and management of educational institutions such as public schools, child care centers,and district offices
Curriculum Design/Development: Includes development of curriculum standards and guidelines for each subject area taught in a particular district and providing resources and support to classroom teachers and administrators
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Special Education Cooperatives
Child Care Facilities
Commercial Language Schools (typically overseas)
Community Early Childhood Education Agencies
Department of Defense Schools
Private Schools (ie, Catholic Schools, Montessori, Waldorf, etc.)
School District Administrative Offices
State Boards/Departments of Education
View specific employers by state.
- Develop a teaching philosophy (your teaching mission, goals, objectives, etc.) and be able to communicate this to a prospective employer.
- Become familiar with the licensure process and specific requirements of the state(s) you are interested in pursuing employment with.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Attend teacher education recruiting events held each semester sponsored by the University Career Center.
- Consider earning additional endorsements to supplement your main licensure area, such as ESOL, Adaptive or Functional Special Education, Reading Specialist, Gifted, etc.
- Consider joining education-related professional associations and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field of interest.
- Join the UCC Online Career Community for PK-12 Education to interact with others interested in careers in education, and learn about job opportunities and upcoming events of interest.
- Start acquiring letters of recommendation to submit as part of the job application process.
- Practice interviewing on your own or by conducting a mock interview at the University Career Center. List of practice questions: Education (pdf), ESL/TESOL (pdf).
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume-elementary (pdf), sample resume (pdf).
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as the: School of Education Student Organization (SESO).
Job & Internship Search Resources
- Teach Tomorrow - information to help you explore teaching as a career including degree programs, state certification requirements, and salary information by state
- Teacher.org - information to help you explore teaching opportunities based on state requirements
- Kansas Music Educators Association - organization of music educators that are committed to the concept of music positively influencing the lives of individuals. Provides membership information, events/programs/workshops, and other resources
- Makingthedifference.org - career information including job profiles, jobs by the numbers in the US, and number of positions in agencies in the federal government
- New Teacher Learning Portal - (from KEEB) provides valuable support, resources, and online training for new teachers, including the How To Guides for Teachers
- Blueprint Schools Network - paid teaching fellowship program in Denver, CO
- Kansas Teaching Jobs - current teaching and instructional support positions in Kansas. Also contains information on licensure, state sponsored tuition and scholarship programs, and resume assistance.
- Missouri Teaching Jobs - current teaching and instructional support positions in Missouri and contains information on upcoming recruiting fairs. This site also links to other teaching job sites across the country, including CT, IA, KY, MI, NM, OH, PA, and TX.
- Education Week Top School Jobs - teaching and administrative positions across the United States. Also contains articles and resources for teachers.
- Goabroad.com - contains resources and links to teaching opportunities abroad.
- K-12 Job Spot - current teaching and support positions available with over 800 school districts across the country
- Kansas National Education Association - professional resources and articles for teachers
- School Spring - nationwide teaching jobs searchable by state, category, grade level and job type
- Southern Teachers Agency - private school jobs in VA, MD, DC, GA, NC, SC, FL, KY, TN, LA, AL and TX
- State Departments of Education and Charter School Associations - links to the departments of education as well as charter school associations by state
- TeachAway Inc. - teaching opportunities overseas
- Teach for America - job opportunities with Teach for America (does not require teaching certification)
- Nemnet - a national resource organization that serves over 500 public and private schools (k-12 and Higher Ed) in the recruitment of teachers, administrators and coaches of color
The quick link for this page is career.ku.edu/pk12education.
Go back to Careers & KU Majors homepage.