The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA and BGS in Psychology and a BS in Behavioral Neuroscience. A BA/BGS in Psychology is also offered in the evening at the KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park. Also offered is a Graduate Certificate in Psychology, as well as a MA. A PhD also is offered in emphases of Clinical, Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Developmental, Quantitative, and Social Psychology. Serving over 1000 students each year, Psychology is one of the most popular undergraduate programs on campus. Undergraduate Psychology Majors enjoy many rich opportunities to gain valuable research and training experience by assisting faculty members and graduate students with their research and conducting research of their own.
Sample of Related Skills
- Demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of behavior, thought, and emotion
- Think critically about behavior, including the ability to question assumptions, and consider alternatives
- Understand, interpret, design, and report psychological research
- Report research either orally or in writing to clearly articulate psychological understandings
Popular Career Paths
Residential Care: Can be short-term or long-term care given to adults or children outside of the patient's home. Care can be 24-hour care or partial care depending on the person's needs and a variety of therapies may be offered.
Social and Human Services: Involves seeking out and connecting clients with the information, materials, and resources they need to cope with and overcome challenges in their lives.
Human Resources: Deals with personnel management issues such as compensation, hiring, performance management, and training.
Research: Involves conducting basic and applied studies of human behavior.
Therapy: Involves assessing client’s mental state through the use of a variety of tools and techniques and implementing an appropriate treatment plan for that client. Therapy can be short-term or long-term.
Further Explore Careers in Psychology
- All Psychology Careers.com - comprehensive website containing information on career fields within psychology, licensure information as well as colleges and universities offering psychology programs
- Counselor License - licensing requirements for every state, information on specific counseling specialties, and articles investigating new trends
- Psychology Career Center - online guide to psychology careers, degrees, schools and job search resources
- Career Profiles: Psychology Careers - resource to help explore careers in psychology, including licensure requirements
- Psychologyguide.com - resource to help explore careers in psychology, including a list of 200+ psychology career profiles
- Psychology.org - information on various types of psychologists, including job descriptions, education requirements, etc.
- Careers in Psych - resources to explore psychology careers in a variety of industries
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Community/State Mental Health Providers
Corrections and Rehabilitation
Federal Government Agencies
Market Research Firms/Departments
Residential Care Facilities
Schools for Students with Special Needs
Substance Abuse Treatment Programs
View specific employers by state.
- Identify the social concerns and populations that interest you most and pursue courses and experiences that allow you to explore these interests further.
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications (i.e., advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications) for occupations you are considering.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest in psychology, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Complete an independent study to gain advanced research skills psychology.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as: Psi Chi.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume 1 (pdf), sample resume 2 (pdf).
Job and Internship Search Resources
- American Counseling Association - job postings and career resources in the field of counseling psychology positions
- American Psychological Association - job postings in various psychology disciplines
- Headquarters Counseling Center - local volunteer opportunities in counseling
- Idealist.org - local, national, and international internships in non-profit and government organizations
- Internships-USA - internship listings in social service agencies
- Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services - career paths and job listings with SRS
- KU Center for Community Outreach - local volunteer opportunities in a variety of areas, including poverty, seniors and youth
- Making the Difference - explore potential careers and internships with the federal government, including opportunities in social services and research
- Non-Profit Connect - local non-profit job and internship opportunities as well as non-profit career resources
- Psychology Jobs - job listings in a wide range of psychology fields, including counseling, child psychology, forensic psychology, industrial psychology, among others
- Research Opportunities: Department of Psychology - list of research opportunities through KU's Department of Psychology with information on how to apply to be a research assistant; also visit Undergraduate Research Awards
- Research Opportunities: Lifespan Institute - list of research projects and associated professors through KU's Lifespan Institute
- Learn Psychology - internship listings and information for undergraduate and graduate level internships
- Social and Welfare Services in Lawrence, KS - local social services agencies and organizations in the Lawrence area as well as links to each organization's website
- USAJOBS - full-time, part-time, and internship listings with the federal government