The School of Education offers a BS in Sport Management. Students who complete the degree requirements for Sport Management are qualified to work in management-related positions at the collegiate and professional sports levels. The individual would also be trained to work in companies that manufacture, distribute or sell sporting equipment. The individual would be qualified to seek management positions in commercial, corporate, and private fitness facilities and companies.
Sport Management Program website
Featured Resources & Career Ideas
Sales and Merchandising: Includes the manufacturing, distribution and sales of sporting equipment, merchandise and apparel.
Facilities Management: Involves the management of commercial, corporate, and private fitness and recreation facilities and companies as well as local city and county parks & recreation departments.
Communications/Media: Involves marketing, advertising, and public relations of sports teams and athletes, as well as print and broadcast journalism.
View specific employers by state.
- Arenas, Auditoriums, Stadiums
- City Parks and Recreation Departments
- College and University Athletic Departments
- Community Centers
- Corporate Health Centers
- Exercise Equipment Manufacturers
- Health and Fitness Clubs
- High Schools and Middle Schools
- Newspapers, Magazines
- Olympic Training Centers
- Professional and Amateur Sports Teams and Leagues
- Professional Athletes
- Professional Fitness/Sports Organizations
- Radio Stations/Television Stations
- Recreation Centers
- Recreational Organizations (ie, YMCA, YWCA, Boys and Girls Club)
- Recreational Sport Leagues
- Regional Sport Commissions
- Sport Associations
- Sport Camps
- Sport Clinics
- Sport Facilities
- Sport Marketing Firms/Departments
- Sport-Related Internet Sites
- Sporting Goods Manufacturers/Stores
- Youth Sport Organizations
- Activities Director
- Athletic Director
- Compliance Officer
- Concessions Manager
- Director of Intramural Sports
- Director of Merchandising
- Director of Promotions
- Director of Recreation Services
- Equipment Manager
- Employee Fitness Director
- Health Club/Training Center Manager
- Product Development Specialist
- Product Distributor
- Public Relations Specialist
- Retail Manager
- Scouting Agent
- Sports Agent
- Sports and Fitness Program Coordinator
- Sports Official
- Stadium/Arena/Facilities Manager
- Student-Athlete Adviser
- Ticket Sales Manager
- Tournament Director
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Become involved in sport management programming on campus through resources like KU Recreation Services or KU Athletics.
- Consider joining sport management-related professional associations and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field of interest.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume (pdf).
- Develop strong interpersonal skills.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as: Sports Management Club, Sports Marketing Club, KU Intramurals, and KU Sports Clubs.
Links to Job & Internship Listings
- AEG Worldwide - job and internship opportunities with a wide range of sports franchises and facilities
- Athletic Equipment Managers' Association - job and internship opportunities in equipment management
- AthleticLink.com - coaching and sport camp opportunities
- College Sports Jobs - job and internship opportunities with college teams
- Major League Baseball - job and internship opportunities with MLB teams
- Major League Baseball Careers - job and internship opportunities with MLB.com, the MLB Network and the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
- Major League Soccer/Soccer United Marketing - job and internship opportunities with MLS and SUM
- National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administrators - administrative and coaching opportunities at the collegiate level
- National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association Job Board - job and internship opportunities in recreation and fitness at colleges and universities
- NBA - job and internship opportunities with the league offices, NBA teams and the NBA store in New York City
- NCAA - job and internship opportunities in collegiate athletics
- National Football League - job and internship opportunities with NFL teams
- National Hockey League - job and internship opportunities with NHL teams
- National Sporting Goods Association - job board geared toward students interested in a career in the sporting goods industry
- North American Society for Sport Management - national professional sport management association
- PBEO.com - official employment service for minor league baseball
- TeamWork Online.com - comprehensive job board for opportunities with major league sports teams, sport facilities and venues, and professional tours