Supply Chain Management
As a supply chain management major, you will learn a set of skills that will allow you to effectively streamline the flow of materials, finances and information for a company. Your training in the supply chain management program will make you a competitive candidate for increasingly important positions in organizations everywhere.
Sample of Related Skills
- Analyze the manufacturing operations of a firm
- Apply sales and operations planning, MRP and lean manufacturing concepts
- Demonstrate knowledge of the functions of logistics and supply chain management
- Produce examples of effective supply chain management and logistics implementation
- Assess the effectiveness of logistics and materials management throughout the global supply chain
Popular Career Paths
Sales: Involves recommending products based on customers' needs, answering questions about the products they sell, demonstrating products and processing sales
Brand Management: Entails planning and directing the entire marketing program for a given product or group of products
Marketing Research: Involves providing information businesses need to make sound decisions about the marketing of their products
Retail: Includes sales, buying, distribution, and staff functions such as advertising and marketing research
Advertising: Involves strategic planning and implementation in a highly competitive, fast-paced environment
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
View specific employers by state.
- Obtain experience through an internship or other relevant part-time or summer work.
- Develop strong analytic skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Conduct informational discussions with individuals from industry. The Alumni Directories in the BCS provide a great place to start.
- Explore various professional designations and licenses relevant to SCM career paths.
- Join a student organization such as the Supply Chain Management Club to gain insight into supply chain industries.
Job and Internship Search Resources
- Supply Chain Job Board - Resource that connects great companies with great talent
- Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals - Information on career opportunities and educational programs
- Institute for Supply Management - Information on the profession, as well as educational and certification programs offered by the organization
- Stanford Global Supply Chain Management Forum - Resource focused on advancing the theory and practice of excellence in global supply chain management