Film & Media Studies
The School of the Arts offers a B.A., B.G.S., and a minor, as well as a M.A. and a Ph.D. in Film and Media Studies. The program offers a comprehensive course load, including classes in film and video production as well as the liberal arts and sciences. KU has been recognized recently by the Fiske Guide to Colleges as being a "major university strong in film/television" and many students of the program have won regional, national, and international competitions for their film/media projects.
Sample of Related Skills
- Identify and demonstrate an understanding of the theoretical foundations of media
- Analyze and critique a variety of media products, case studies and issues
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethical issues related to the media
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of global film history, including cultural, historical, and social contexts
- Demonstrate an understanding of the critical and technical language associated with film studies, including genres, classic narrative form and non-narrative forms, mise-en-scene, cinematography, editing, sound, and modes of screen reality
- Demonstrate their skills in the praxis of film production
Popular Career Paths
Performance: Includes performance roles in film/television productions or within other performing arts venues, such as theatre, dance, comedy, etc.
Production, Direction, & Design: Encompasses "behind-the-scenes" roles that create, produce, direct, and design film/television productions.
Administration & Business: Includes all business and administrative roles within a performing arts venue, including management, marketing/PR, distribution, etc.; also includes talent management and representation for individual performers.
Education & Training: Involves teaching acting or film production in a class setting or giving individual performance coaching; may require additional education and credentials if teaching in K-12 or post-secondary schools.
Journalism & Media: Includes providing analysis and critique of film/television works for print or broadcast media.
Explore More Career Paths
- Film Society of Greater Kansas City - local organization that supports KC-area film making
- Independent Filmmaker's Coalition of Kansas City - local non-profit that promotes regional film, video, and media production; provides educational and networking opportunities as well as equipment rental for members
- Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee - local group that unites KC film-related organizations to promote and enhance KC-area filmmaking through the Kansas City FilmFest and other events
- Writers Guild of America - labor union for television, film, and other media writers; includes professional resources related to screenwriting
- Video Production Career Guide - information from video production professionals on what it is like to work in their field
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Advertising, Marketing, & Public Relations Agencies
Film Production Studios & Distributors
Freelance: Acting, Coaching, Film Production & Editing, Writing
Independent Film & Documentary Producers
Local, State, & Federal Government Agencies
Magazines, Newspapers, & Other Print Media
Public & Private Schools (K-12) and Colleges & Universities
Television Networks & Production Studios
Website & Computer Software Developers: Multimedia Production
View specific employers by state.
- Develop your film/media skill set by working directly with film productions as either a performer or crew member.
- Attend local/regional film shows and festivals to further your knowledge and appreciation for film and media.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to film, such as KU Filmworks or KU Film Society.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume (pdf).
- Join professional associations related to film and, if possible, attend local and/or regional film-related conferences and workshops to make connections with professionals in your field.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications (i.e., Advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications) for occupations you are considering.
Job and Internship Search Resources
- Actors' Equity Association - organization that provides representation for professional actors and stage managers; includes audition and stage manager position postings
- American Advertising Federation - association for advertising professionals; includes job listings in creative and media fields; check out the Kansas City chapter's internship guide for local advertising internships in creative/media
- Arts Opportunities - job board with positions in the arts, including film, video, and audio
- Backstage Jobs - job and internship site for "behind the scenes" positions in the live entertainment industry
- CinemaKC - online networking space for Kansas City film community members
- Entertainmentcareers.net - list of entertainment focused jobs and internships
- Idealist.org - job and internship site that includes non-performance positions within non-profit organizations that produce or support film and the arts
- New York Women in Communications - lists jobs and internships in film, radio, and tv
- ProductionHub.com - job and internship site that includes positions in film, broadcast/television, video production, digital media, post-production, and much more.
- Red Echo Group - Kansas City - local branch of Red Echo Group, a non-profit organization that helps at-risk inner city youth create their own films through the "Let's Make a Movie!" program; offers volunteer opportunities
- Showbiz Jobs - online job board for positions within the entertainment industry